House Ear Clinic grew from the one-man practice established by Howard P. House, MD. After completing his residency training in 1938, he traveled throughout the United States and Europe visiting renowned physicians and learning the latest treatments for patients with eye, ear, nose and throat (EENT) problems. In 1939 Howard began to practice EENT at the Moore-White Clinic in Los Angeles. Four years later, he opened his own office and limited his practice to ear, nose and throat. By this time his interest was focused on the area of ear surgery and he was one of the first ear surgeons to perform the fenestration surgery, an operation to restore hearing.
By 1947 he was performing so many hearing restoration surgeries that he limited his practice even further and concentrated on the treatment of ear related problems only. In 1956 his brother, William F. House, MD, joined him in practice. By 1958 two additional ear surgeons, James Sheehy, MD and Fred Linthicum, MD, had joined Howard and William House to form the Otologic Medical Group. They soon outgrew their rented offices and built a new medical building to accommodate their rapidly growing group.
By this time, the practice of ear surgery had advanced to the point where patients with hearing loss due to otosclerosis or chronic infections could have their hearing surgically restored. Other advances by the Group include reducing the mortality rate of patients undergoing acoustic neuroma surgery from 40% to near 0% and developing treatments for patients with vertigo due to Meniere's Disease and other causes. The physicians together with House Ear Institute scientists also developed and perfected the cochlear implant and auditory brain stem implant for patients who are totally deaf.
In 1990 the practice moved into a new facility and changed its name from the Otologic Medical Group to the House Ear Clinic. The practice consists of 10 ear specialists 7 of whom perform ear surgery. One of the associates specializes in allergic diseases of the ear.